Sunday, November 23, 2008

Insult

In my opinion, the expression "To add insult to injury" is a fucking stupid one. Anyone who uses it should therefore be given a good kicking. For example, if I kick someone's head in, nut him, punch him, and finally empty a dustbin bag full of fish heads and offal all over him, I don't then say, "Oh, by the way, I feel it incumbent upon myself at this present juncture in time to apprise you of the fact that you are, as far as I and many others are concerned, a total cunt." I don't add insult to the injury. Nor, indeed, does anyone else. What actually happens is that you say, "Oi! Cunt!", or whatever, first of all. Only then do you kick his fucking head in. So basically, what's happening is that you're adding injury to insult, in far greater proportion. Not vice-versa. This being the case, the expression ought to be "To add injury to insult." I trust this helps clarify matters.

No comments: